Sunday, December 15, 2013

Nippon Adventure: Osaka/Kyoto

I'm back to the once loved Osaka but Hiroshima tops the list now. Once in Osaka however, it meant that I get to shop.

I don't really have plans while in Osaka. I was procrastinating between Universal Studios Japan or Rinku Town Premium Outlet. Since I'm not a fan of theme park and more of a shopper, I decided to go to Rinku Town instead. 

Rinku Town is about an hour away from Osaka and getting there is covered by JR pass. Like all other premium outlet, Rinku houses many premium brands at up to 70% off. I was intrigued by the prices but the items does not fancy my taste. I ended getting gifts for my niece and nephew and almost gotten myself a Bally bag. However, I got crazy at the wall of Lego figurines at ¥490 each. I went ballistic and pick and mix a lot of figures from a full set of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles which was almost impossible to get in Singapore and some figures from Star Wars.

Other than the Lego figures for myself, I also started buying the Starbucks flavored Via coffee which I always asked favors from friends to get for me while they're in States. I bought a dozen of the via and continued buying more at other Starbucks store in Osaka.

On the second day of my Osaka stay, I planned a day trip to further venture Kyoto. I had limited exploration the previous trip so I decided to plan more. Kyoto is only 30mins from Osaka station by Limited express or 15mins by Shinkansen from Shin-Osaka.

First stop was my return to Fushimi Inari Shrine. I planned to complete the trail up Mt Inari as both Hakimbo and myself took a wrong turn and ended where we started. With a sore calves from Mt Misen, I still ventured up Mt Inari at a slower pace. The route is shorter and the has more lower gradient steps. I thought that was an easy climb but was disappointed once I reached the top. At the very peak of Mt Inari stood a shrine which was covered the scenery by tree canopies. 

I just snapped a selfy to note I reached the top and proceeded down to the Ice Cream parlor. I managed to find a seat overlooking the Kyoto Town. That apparently was the highlight of my trail, eating ice-cream on a breezy mountain overlooking the city.

After completing my trail, I returned to another town that I previously visited, Gion. I went to Gion to retrace my previous trail to the shopping belt of Shijo Dori which I passed by previously. There were lots of shopping mall and a Porter shopping research brought me to Head Porter Loft. I immediately went crazy as I finally get to see the physical product of what I had cataloged in my shopping list. Thinking of the baggage that I will carry to Tokyo, I only bought the smaller purchase such as an order for a friend and some cases for myself.

Other than Head Porter Loft, I went slightly ballistic for some gifts for my siblings. I managed to get some exclusive flavors at Nespresso and another shoe order from my aunt. 

The last plan to complete Kyoto was a visit to the Kyoto Tower. Like Fukuoka, I was chasing the tower stamps and of course the high scenery of Kyoto which I was displeased with the one from Mt Inari. Once satisfied, I wanted to try a sento experience at the basement of Kyoto Tower but unsurprisingly, the place was crowded. What shocked me was the queue to enter the sento. There are only a few sento in Japan that caters English assistance. Others are strictly in Japanese. Disappointed, I returned to Kyoto Station to retrieve my shopping goods, which I stored before going to Kyoto Tower, and returned to Osaka.

I was famished in Kyoto and did not managed to eat sufficiently. Once back, I headed to Dotonbori and stuffed myself crazy with the food they offered. From a meal of Okonomiyaki, to street food Takoyaki and King Crab and end it off with pudding dessert. I was full and tired, and knocked out when I returned to the hotel.

Osaka is still a nice city, less hectic than Tokyo but Hiroshima now tops my favorite list. I would still return to Osaka still due to easy access to great food and still be able to shop. I can still plan to venture to other cities which are mostly less than an hour away by Shinkansen. If I were to return to Japan, I would definitely fly into Osaka and to shop again and definitely put Kobe as a day trip.

Check out the shopping and food galore of Osaka and the trail of Kyoto. Next up, the ending city to my Nippon Adventure, Tokyo.