Saturday, May 12, 2012

North/South Korea Day 8-9: Venturing DMZ and last Burst of Attractions


With the recent passing of Kim Jong Il, I grew fascinated to North Korea somehow. So while I was going to South Korea, I was wondering whether there's a way to check North Korea. Of course, there are strict regulations between the two nations but there is an attraction that attracts many Caucasians - the DMZ ( Demilitarized Zone). DMZ sits at the very border of the North and South and within 2km from both nations are marked as demarcation line where there should not be any retaliation between both nations.

There are 2 types of tour to DMZ, a half or a full day tour. There is only a half day tour on weekends due to the closure of Panmunjeom which is part of the whole day tour. So I ended with the half day tour which starts at 0730 with a transport that pick me up from your hostel. I booked the tour thru Seoul Backpackers reception when I checked in and I got a SGD3 discount.

Freedom Bridge
First stop of the tour is to Imjingak where the guide will process your clearance into the DMZ. While waiting, I wondered around overlooking the Freedom Bridge, a bombed train vessel, unification messages and a Peace Bell. I had 20mins to wander around which I find a bit too short as I wasn't able to go up the observation deck.

Moving on from Imjingak, we went into the DMZ area where South Korean soldiers were checking our passport. Here the guide told us about identifying the period of service of the soldiers by the number of bars on their head gear, between none (newly enlisted) to four (ORD loh!!!). In SG, we just served till its over.

Layout of the 3rd Infiltration Tunnel
(Stole someones photo due to photography restrictions)
Clearing the check point we move on to the Third Infiltration Tunnel which is 73m into the ground. The north dug an infiltration tunnel by using dynamites till it blew a water line that notified the South. South dug a tunnel to intercept the North. It is an amazing story but being there was more amazing.

Photography is prohibited so we had to leave our belongings in the lockers provided and was told to have a helmet along. We walked down a steep 73m deep tunnel to get to the tunnel. Once at the bottom, we made our way thru a 2m by 2m tunnel to check the blockade where we'll pass into North Korea, underground though. Thank god for the helmet, I kept banging my head to the low tunnel. There are 3 blockade but you can see pass each blockade through the viewfinder. It's quite cold in the tunnel but the work out to get back up states wearing a jacket is pointless.

After the tunnel, we were brought to small museum with the guide explaining the history in the DMZ before moving on to the next location, Dora observatory.

Just 5mins away from the infiltration tunnel, Dora Observatory is another photography restricted area. There in plain view was spectacular view of North Korea but we're not able to snap a shot at a certain point, not even in the building. I just enjoyed the breathtaking view.
Stood behind the no photography line and managed this shot
of North Korea from Dora Observatory
Dorasan Station
Our last stop in the DMZ was Dorasan Station, a now-closed station between South Korean to the North which leads to Pyongyang. The station is generally new and still shiny. There wasn't much there except an entry to the platform for SGD5. Though the station was a great place to enjoy the aircon after being in the open for so long.

Our last itinerary for the tour was a visit to Seoul Ginseng Center where they'll promote the benefits of ginseng. After a sample, EVERYONE just left before they could target some sale. That was classic.

The tour bus will drop passengers off at either City Hall or Itaewon at about 1400. I needed to complete my Seoul MV hunt and returned to City Hall for Deoksugung palace.

I was in time for the change of guard ceremony at Deoksugung Castle. It lasted about 20mins. I didn't went in the castle as I knew I had many other places to cover.

I was famished like the North Korean because I hadn't had anything except a pack of bread. I was craving for Italian and went in the first Italian restaurant that I came upon. I was the first time I had risotto.

Gyeongbokgung Palace
I was contemplating of checking Gyeongbokgung palace as I wanted to see other non-palace and realized I haven't been into one. So I went into the most grand of them. Entrance was SGD3 and the place was huge. It's said to be before Forbidden City and slightly smaller, slightly. There are many sections to the place I didnt know whether I've been to all. It was just too huge. Wonder how I'll survived Forbidden City.

I was groggy once I completed with the palace and I needed to check Bukchon Village. It's similar to Haji Lane in Singapore with rows of local designers. I was packed with trendy early 20s. There are Hanok buildings in the area with 8 great photography vantage points which was featured in 2Days 1Night. I was too tired to search all aimlessly till I found the map at the Tourist Information counter. I gave up as I was tired and I still need to go to Dongdaemun.

Bukchon Hanok Village
The different subway lines were very near each other and I wanted to take the direct line to Dongdaemun. Tired still, I took the nearest subway and transited to my destination. I was quite dissappointed with Dongdaemun as it was mostly street market and a wholesale market that sells mostly souvenirs and crafts. Dongdaemun Gate was also under restoration. I was at Dongdaemun for only 5mins and returned back to hostel to nap before I continued with my last shopping spree.

Every last shopping spree is a crazy on for me. I see things along the way and took a mental note of my shopping list. However I got others instead. I finally managed to get some clothings, a shoe for my nephew, and a last minute Happy Call purchases after I checked out.

My Korean Shopping
Check out my last 2 Days in 대한민국.

Overall, I enjoyed my whole South Korea trip, alone. The great adventures of getting lost and the beautiful sceneries and young people. I didn't enjoy Korean food before and will never do. It's mostly bland. The elders there irritates the hell of me with their rude behaviors. I told myself that I'll never return to Korea but soon realized that I could return to shop and I know someone who would love to follow. Though I won't be returning within the next 3 years. Now I'm planning my next major trip hopefully by year end or early next year to Shanghai/Beijing.

안녕하세요